Am Sonntag, 14. Januar 2007 17:57 schrieb Uwe Stöhr:

> In my opinion the setting in LyX's preferences should be taken and the
LANG setting ignored.

Not ignored. This is standard on unix as Lars wrote, and I don't want to
learn a new way of doing this for every program.

> This
> implies that I think it is a nice feature be be able to set the language
from inside LyX.
> This is also possible in many programs I use and avoids that users have
to fiddle around with
> environment variables; for example about 90% of the Win users don't know
what an environment
> variable is and they usually also don't know that they have to modify a
batch file to set LyX's menu
> language.

What for some users is fiddling is a useful feature for others. I do agree
that the LANG variable is not convenient for most windows users, so an
alternative should be implemented, but the LANG variable should not be
dropped at all.

BTW, if you want to implement this you also have to switch the qt language
if you want to do it correctly.

Georg