Alex wrote:
As a translator I often need to start two LyX session, one using my
local language and the other using english.

It would be impossible or hard to do this without the LANG variable!

The idea is just to allow the setting for those who wants to. It is even possible to have two different languages for two different views running the same instance if you want ;-)

This will also break the linux "locale" theorem.

But, if you switch to ignore the LANG variable:

 1. I prefer to create a command line switch to override the lyxrc settings.

Sure there will be an "Automatic" option by default that will keep using the environment variable.

Abdel.