I think that the ui language should not be settable from inside lyx.

I haven't really followed this thread, so I might just repeate what someone else has said.

I can think of one reason why normal users might want to be able to temporarily change the language of the UI from within LyX.

Let's say we have a user that runs LyX in Swedish, but don't know how to do something. So the user reads the manual and is instructed to to go to a menu/dialog, however, the user doesn't know how that menu/dialog has been translated into Swedish so he can't find it...

I don't know if this makes it worth all the hassle, but I actually run most of my software with English UI for this reason. When I need to find out how to do something it's easier if the UI is in English.

/Christian