On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Georg Baum wrote:

IMO you are a real developer. Everybody puts his own emphasis as he likes, and if that is not "hardcore LyX programming" but the documentation or the installer this does not make it less useful.

Well put.

.. and that it took you a lot of time, and I am sure that others see that, too.

I think most of us, or even everybody, knows that you've put in a lot of work in this. I certainly appreciate it!

For the future I suggest the following:
- There will be a minimal installer that does only install LyX itself
  and nothing else for people who have everything else already and maybe
  still use a modem. The size of this should be around 9 MB.

- Other installers that include more stuff or can dowenload it from the
  net will be made by Uwe (from the same source code) as he sees the
  need.

I think it makes sense to have a minimal installer as well as a more complete version. (I can't quite see why an installer that downloads other software from the net must be much larger, but that needs a separate topic).

Uwe, how difficult do you think it would be to generate these from the same code base? For that matter, I'm going to get actively involved in writing code for LyX, so if you'd like my help I can try and help you with this. (Beware, it's been a few years since I did C++ :-)

- Modifications to LyX itself should only be made if there is a very
  good reason. If such modifications are made the installer should be
  named in such a way that it is clear that it is a modified version.
  The preferred way to include modifications requested or contributed by
  users is to discuss them on the list and put them in svn afterwards.

I agree with this.. ideally the development of the installers shouldn't modify the LyX code. And incorporating requests from users should be handled separately from the installer IMHO. I'm guessing this is what has caused most of the "friction", but if I understand correctly this is completely/almost resolved now?

With appreciation
/Christian