On Sun, 28 Jan 2007, Edwin Leuven wrote:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
 I think we probably should supply a minimal installer for LyX, i.e.
 something that installs the LyX application and nothing else.

note that joost's installer basically works like this by skipping the download of the components...

Yes (I thought that was obvious, sorry).

 Experts might use it for this reason, but not many other Windows users.
 Under these assumptions, I'd say the minimal installer will not be used
very often,

i would say that this would happen very often since people will update lyx more often than they install it for the 1st time.

I'd say it depends a lot on how often there are new releases of LyX... The major releases aren't exactly frequent :-)

If there are frequent releases of LyX, I certainly agree that the minimal installer would be used frequently. However, if the releases are more rarely used, a bundling installer might be better *assuming* it also lets you upgrade the other packages. This is especially interesting if a new bundled installer comes with a new version of say ImageMagick that fixes a problem that occurs when using LyX and ImageMagic together.

Q:... Can either of the installers be used to upgrade a LyX installation? In other words, what happens if there already is a LyX installation?

(If none of the installers is useful for upgrading LyX, we should be discussing that instead)

 The kind of installer I expect almost everyone would use is a bundle
 installer that installs the LyX application as well as a bunch of other
useful applications.

not so sure, i think that many (most?) people who install (try out) lyx for the 1st time will be latex users and will have miktex already installed, for them there is no point in downloading it again...

I've never used LaTeX directly. I used LyX on *nix where LaTeX is already installed. If I were to use LyX on Windows I wouldn't even know how to install LaTeX. So, speaking as a *nix user that must now use Windows at work, I don't have an existing LaTeX installation. I'd certainly use the bundle installer.

When I used LyX regularly, I used to show it to my PhD colleagues (not LaTeX users) and they were usually impressed. If there had been a bundle installer at the time I think it would have been quite easy to get them to try it. It might even have been possible to get my supervisor to use it...

So I think that Uwe has a goal in aiming for an installer with a "simple" installation mode that installs a working system.

Having said that, I think we should provide for the advanced users as well. I don't see why the installer couldn't start with a question asking about installation mode. Perhaps:

        (*) Quick installation - few questions asked, a default set
            of applications will be installed. [list of apps.]
        ( ) Custom installation - detailed questions asked. Possible
            to set manual paths to tools etc.

what is wrong with having a dowloading and bundled installer from the same source (ie joost's)?

Absolutely nothing. I think any/all installers should be from the same source. I don't care which source. (Asking which source is sort of silly as Joost sort of forked off (rewrote?) Uwe's code to begin with).

I did however find joost's downloading installer annoying/frustrating to use. I agree it is technically elegant to download the extra applications as needed, but unfortunately all the pauses in between while downloading are very frustrating. This could probably be fixed - just using a single download pause would be perceived as less annoying. It would be even better if the rest of the applications could be downloaded while the first application is being installed.

In fact, if it was up to me I'd add a recommendation to the Windows wiki page saying that people without a previous LaTeX installation in general should use the 'network installation bundle'.

/C