Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Dov Feldstern schrieb:

I will test this now. But even if it all works, this is *not* OK as it is --- it breaks ArabTeX Arabic.

I don't understand. Currently ArabTeX is never loaded by LyX for Arabic documents so it is also not used. My patch requires arabi for both languages.

In the email I sent a few days ago, I explained exactly how to get LyX working in Arabic, with either ArabTeX or Arabi. As explained there, it is possible to perform a small one-time setup of LyX, and then use ArabTeX for Arabic in LyX. So LyX has been supporting Arabic to a certain extent for quite a while, using ArabTeX. The changes you are proposing now break that support.

To repeat myself: ArabTeX without arabi can't be used due to the missing babel interface and

ArabTeX is not babel-based, and therefore doesn't require a babel interface.

, more important, due to the missing input encodings.

ArabTeX can use many different encodings, including a transliteration-type encoding which uses plain ASCII, I think. It does not include cp1256 by default, AFAICT. However, (a) it does include other encodings (iso-8859-8, for example), which LyX did support until recently, I'm not sure if it still does; (b) as you have pointed out, one can use ArabTeX with the cp1256 encoding provided by arabi. Why would someone want to? Because arabi is not yet perfect; the fonts for ArabTeX are nicer; because that's the way it used to be done. The point is, we used to support it, and we shouldn't just drop that support if it's not absolutely necessary.

The latter was bug 2927 which is now fixed for a while but since then the arabi-package is required for Arabic. But once arabi is installed on your system, it will be used automatically, so ArabTeX is already not an option. Even if you load it in the preamble it will only be used for Arabic-only documents. As soon you have another language in your document arabi will be used again due to its babel interface. So why not using my solution? Note that I created it by the requests of Mostafa.

Because it breaks ArabTeX, that's all. The patch I sent in earlier tonight (see below) separates between ArabTeX and Arabi, so that on top of it, it should be possible to implement your patch without breaking ArabTeX. Then your solution can be used.

Please see the email I sent earlier tonight for a patch which separates between arabi and arabtex. This patch should be implemented over the arabic_arabi language.

I haven't received an email from you yet.

Yes, there seems to be a problem with email to the newsgroup --- look at the times of the emails I (and others) sent to the newsgroup tonight, vs. their arrival times. If it doesn't arrive by tomorrow, I'll resend it...

regards Uwe