It might be a good idea to switch to a different version numbering, the
current one just doesn't hold it.

There is currently development of version 1.1.6, where 1.1.5 was finalized
only a week or so ago, and already we have a pending 1.1.5fix1 version,
where the fixes are both bug fixes and some special features (the
background colors).

I believe it would be better if we had a numbering scheme like the linux
kernel, with a development series and "stable" series, where every now and
then a backport of features and fixes will be done to the stable series,
and when the time is ripe the devel series will be version jumped and
called a stable series (preferably making sure its stable :) (no intention
to claim this is not done currently, on the contrary).

The benefit I see is from the "marketing" side, this way we will have a
stable version that gets at least some of the new features and the needed
fixes without it being considered a development version. There are places
(notably the university where I learn) that their tech staff will not
install something unless its dubbed stable, it can be from micrsoft
(notably unstable) but if its a release version they will consider
installing it, otherwise they will just say no.

The current installed version of lyx is 1.0.4 on their systems since thats
the last one they saw dubbed stable. Everything else they recognize as
development and will not install. This means for example that the lyx
1.1.5 with hebrew support will not be installed since they fear its
development version.

This will not only help me, I'm pretty sure there are many other places
where they won't install something that is officially marked as a release
version. It is a problem to see a program with version 1.1.4fix3, one may
consider if its development team is so incapable so as to need three
consequtive "urgent" fixes. In the proposed method we will simply have
1.2.x for the the stable and 1.3.x for the development, with backports to
update the older version, the transition will be to rename 1.1.6 to 1.2.0
when the time comes for its release and the new devel version will be
1.3.0.

At least then I'll be able to do hebrew documents also in the Technions
computers.

--
  Baruch Even

http://techst02.technion.ac.il/~sbaruch/   (My Site)
http://rpghost.com/jindor/                 (My brothers AD&D site)

" Learn to laugh ... it's the path to true love! "
   - The Angel in the movie Michael