Andre> I'd like to add another point: Some distributors seem to think,
Andre> that <something>.<odd> is per se an unstable version without
Andre> bothering to read any README coming with that version. I think
Andre> that's the reason why some distributors still distribute 1.0.4
Andre> even in their newest packages.

A good reason is also that README reads:

[snip]
This is a LyX development release

The LyX Team has adopted a new development model and
tries to keep the development version stable as far
as possible, but since the program is changing, the
development version will be less stable than the
stable releases.

So, don't use this development version on your production
documents without testing everything in depth first.
[snip]

Who volunteers to rewrite that and check all our docs?