Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
Edwin Leuven wrote:
Alfredo Braunstein wrote:
It has become sort of a religious issue

lyx has a tendency to put a stupid button, checkbox you name it for whatever stupid thing that is around. in the end you get a bad, cluttered ui...

(i this respect i think i compared lyx to a x-mas tree once)

so it has nothing to do with religion (which i avoid like the plague), it is just sanitary: the same reason why i flush in the toilet, i like things to be clean.

(you are partly guilty), dunno why ;-)

maybe i don't like x-mas as much a you guys? ;-)

I would miss the possibility to reset a bunch of paragraphs to
default though

that is a question of ui design and is orthogonal to what i am proposing. i think for this there should be a reset button...

This is a sensible suggestion IMHO. As we all agree that "Default" is somewhat a different setting than the others a UI like this will have the
Again - default being "different" does not force us to use
a different UI for it. The word itself is different - I think that is
enough.
best of both worlds: one click for changing alignment and also one click for resetting the alignment (which will also set the radio button
Clicking a "reset" button isn't more work.  Still, it seem like an odd
way of doing this - pressing a reset button instead of simply
setting the alignment to "default". Default being "different" isn't
an argument for this arrangement - so why?  It is confusing - is that
reset button for resetting the radio buttons or for something else?

Having another radiobutton named "default" makes this obvious.
It sets the layout to "default" instead of the other choices.
"Default" is a different kind of word than middle/right/left, so that
makes the radiobutton sufficiently "special".  There is no need to
use a different UI to mark its special status.  The status _can_ be
marked with a separator bar, a little extra distance from the other
buttons, or font emphasizing.
automatically to the default one). So 4 radio buttons and one push button is the way to go IMHO:

o Justified (Default)
o Left
o Center
o Right

[Reset Layout]
I guess you meant [Reset alignment] as the layout have other
parameters as well?

This arrangement don't seem to differentiate between
justified (or whatever) by default, and
justified (or whatever) set explicitly so it won't change over a layout change.

Default as a radio button allows that however.

Now, if the point is to show which setting that currently is
default, how about going the other way?  Instead of printing
"default" next to the default setting, print the setting name
next to "default" button.

5 button selection:

o default (justified)
o justified
o right
o center
o left

If the layout is then changed to "Title", then the box
will say

o default (center)
o justified
o right
o center
o left

This way yoe see clearly whether the alignemnt is explicit
or at its default - and everything (including default) can be set
with a single click. No confusion as to what any extra button does.

Helge Hafting