Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
I would miss the possibility to reset a bunch of paragraphs to default though
that is a question of ui design and is orthogonal to what i am proposing. i think for this there should be a reset button...
This is a sensible suggestion IMHO. As we all agree that "Default" is somewhat a different setting than the others a UI like this will have the best of both worlds: one click for changing alignment and also one click for resetting the alignment (which will also set the radio button automatically to the default one).
At least one central point here has still yet to be addressed, even though I've asked directly what people intend to do about it: There's no such thing as "the default one" when you're dealing with a multi-paragraph selection. That, to my mind, means there's a large hole in the suggested implementation at this point. As currently envisaged, the behavior in that case is dependent upon quirks in the existing code and will be incorrect. At a minimum, a check will need to be done for a multi-paragraph selection.

There's also the question, raised by Helge, whether having this pushbutton is really going to be intelligible to our users. Remember: All of this got started because the checkbox was confusing people. I seriously doubt that the pushbutton will be more intuitive.

For what it's worth, here's another use case: It's common to want marginal notes, mini-pages, and the like to be set raggedright due to the small linewidth. It would be nice to be able to set this, and not have it vanish if I start experimenting with other aspects of the layout. And I don't think this is terribly uncommon. I often take papers or other documents I've written with (say) article and try them out with other layouts, just to see how they look. It'd be a major drag to find out that doing this had undone ALL my left-aligned marginal notes.

It's true that if I'd set the marginal notes right-aligned and the new layout didn't allow that, I'd lose that information---and if so, then we ought to give a warning, if we don't already. In fact, I'd say we ought to give a warning in any such case, such as the one Edwin mentioned, where setting a previously left-aligned paragraph as a section, say, could cause the same kind of data loss.

So yes, I think Default should somehow be distinguished from the other possibilities, but not in such a way as to obscure what it really is: It's the choice to let the document class determine the alignment. That's different than choosing to align it raggedright, even if raggedright happens to be what the current document class would do, as the minipage example shows.

Richard

Richard G Heck, Jr
Professor of Philosophy
Brown University
http://frege.brown.edu/heck/
Get my public key from http://sks.keyserver.penguin.de
Learn how to sign your email using Thunderbird and GnuPG at:
http://dudu.dyn.2-h.org/nist/gpg-enigmail-howto