Andre> It does not affect "development cycle length" at all. It is
Andre> just a "new" number scheme that happens to be fairly well known
Andre> since a lot of linux related software use it. People will not
Andre> ask themselves whether "pre" is "preferable", "pretty",
Andre> "predictable" or just a "prefix" that happends to stand at the
Andre> end of the word... Urm...

Because you think many people are born with the "odd is unstable" idea
hardwired in their brain? "Hmm, should I or should I not use gcc 2.7 or
emacs 19.34..."