On Thu, Jul 05, 2007 at 05:23:52PM +0200, Enrico Forestieri wrote:

> > Enrico> No, and this is most astonishing, the thing seems to survive a
> > Enrico> reboot. I tried to find whether the info is stored in the
> > Enrico> registry, but could not find anything.
> >
> > Enrico> However, I investigated further and it turned out that what I
> > Enrico> said occurs on Vista but it does not occur on Win2k. Don't
> > Enrico> know about XP.
> >
> > I read somewhere that vista does not need fonts to be explicitly
> > installed. So it is different from xp in this respect.
>
> No, I don't think so:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/michkap/archive/2006/08/27/726378.aspx
>
> and here:
>
> Vista is explicitely mentioned, so this is a bug on Vista.
>
> I can make AddFontResource(Ex) work only when I put the fonts in
> a precise location on disk, and given that this location is
> "C:\cygwin\usr\local\share\lyx\fonts", i.e., the path where they
> got initially installed with lyx 1.4.4, I presume that once you
> used some fonts with those functions, you cannot move them
> somewhere else anymore. Even after a reboot. Ouch.

Just for the records, I discovered that the font files must have
the executable flag set, otherwise they are not found, unless they
and all of their path components have proper ACLs. However, I can
only guarantee that this happens on thursday with a full moon.
Don't know in other conditions...

--
Enrico