Bo Peng wrote:
+lots---though, that said, there are times you just need a bit of boldface.
It is easy enough for latex people to do \textbf{}. Why do we
discourage the use of it??
Well, as I understand it, LyX is supposed to be a "semantic" text processor. That's certainly where John's comment was coming from, and mine. But people are not accustomed to thinking about writing that way, in large part because standard word processors don't encourage it. So, the thought is, that we should encourage it, and not be encouraging non-semantic markup, even though of course LaTeX permits it, and it is useful in some cases. But one could argue that \textbf{} should rarely be used outside a definition.

Of course, as the old cliche has it, "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink".

Richard