Richard Heck wrote:
Dov Feldstern wrote:
I agree very much with what JMarc has been saying about this issue: although I like very much the idea of character styles / logical markup, I don't think that insets are the right paradigm for implementing this.
But there's a point JMarc made along the way which isn't accounted here, and it needs to be, namely: There are two questions here: how charstyles (say) are implemented in the code, and how they appear to the user. The issues that have been raised have to do with how charstyles appear to the user. Whether they exist as insets in LyX isn't critical from that point of view.

There's also the question how all of this gets written to a LyX file. Especially once we're doing XML, it'll be essential that everything be properly nested (unless each character is supposed to be written with all of its associated formatting information, which is insane). Insets are a natural correlate to that, because they nest. This does NOT mean that they have to appear to the user as insets, only that the underlying data structure nests properly.

Let me also add this point. One of my complaints about fonts and the like as they currently exist is that it can be very hard to tell where they begin and where they end. (Try emphasizing some text and then italicizing something in the middle of it.) Even if the boundaries of the inset are not ordinarily shown, it'd be nice to have them be showABLE, so that you can answer this kind of question without having to View>Source.

I fully agree with that.

Abdel.