On Wed, 3 Oct 2007, Juergen Spitzmueller wrote:

Richard Heck wrote:

The difficulty is that, if you're already in the inset, you might be
wanting to apply another one. How do you distinguish that from changing
the inset type (which is the most natural thing).

Some thoughts: Say I have a charstyle <foo>hello world</foo>.

* If I select "hello" and select "bar" from the combo, the result would

I'm not sure it matters, but you make the assumption that it would be a nested construct, is that necessearily true? Do we have to impose a nesting structure on the character styles, or could each of them be operating along an independent dimension? Couldn't two character styles start and/or end at the exact same position?

You start with:

        bla bla bla hello world bla bla

Then apply <foo>, and we have:

        bla bla bla hello world bla bla

Then we apply <bar> and we have:

        bla bla bla hello world bla bla
                    |bar|

I don't see why |foo| and |bar| should affect each other?

Aren't character styles in general independent of each other?

/Christian