On Wed, Oct 03, 2007 at 02:12:22PM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

> >> We will face challenge for sure but Cursor movement is already
> >> working well for entering and leaving insets. We will have to decide
> >> what to do with selection though. I am in the opinion that when
> >> coming outside of an inset, whatever it is (charstyle included), we
> >> should select the full insets. Right now, the implementation offers
> >> no other choice in any case.
> >
> > I think this would be very unintuitive behavior in the case of
> > character styles.
>
> I do not think so. I have yet to see of a good example where
> overlapping extents are useful (do you have a better example than the
> TEI one?). We should not design the UI around a weird case.

This isn't about overlapping extents as I see it, it's about a natural
feel for the UI. In particular, if I click-drag at point A in this
diagram:

      foo bar C foo bar A foo bar foo bar B

and drag towards B, it will prove extremely annoying that my selection
changes to cover C too. "That's not what I asked for!"

It's OK with today's insets because they're clearly separate chunks of
text.

john