Lars> | Second quick question. Is "\layout" stored in a string anywhere or can I look
Lars> | for occurences of "\layout" in the source code. Presumably this will get me a
Lars> | long way... ?

Lars> Just search for "\layout" in buffer.C and in paragraph.C.
Thanks. I can find only three instances.
Two in buffer.C when the file is being read into buffer.
One in paragraph.C when the buffer is being written to file.
Interestingly, all three occurences lie outside of and #ifdef NEW_INSETS blocks.

Lars> Ok, I think I found something...
Lars> let me check that fix in and then you can try again.

Ok, I'll wait. I was about to be cynical and recompile the code with NEW_INSETS
turned off, just to make sure that you hadn't messed up completely!

Give it a sensible ChangeLog entry and I'll know when to start playing again.
Angus