Dov Feldstern wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
John Levon wrote:

2) The existence of a style attribute does not affect how and where I
can select text

This is a con for me. I want to select the whole charstyle automatically and not bother with micro selection.

I think this could be solved easily with ranges: when the cursor is inside a range, there could be some lfun (bound to a key or to right-mouse, perhaps) "select-entire-range".

No, I don't want to think about it, the same way you want to select char by char using the shift arrow keys, I want to select the full charstyle.

If the cursor is inside multiple ranges, perhaps a dialog would open up (or a context-menu) which would allow me to select which range I want to select. And then the entire range is selected.

Too complicated for me.

No if you want to change the style / delete the style / delete the text --- it's really simple, because the range is already selected. I don't think this is appreciably more complicated than it would be with insets (I even think it would be more intuitive), and even if it is slightly more complicated, I don't think it's as common a use-case as selections which do not exactly match the same range.

For me that's the typical use case.

Abdel.