[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> #3: This may be doable with PSTricks, but certainly not "natively".

If it is doable on the LaTeX side, then it is doable in LyX if we use
a custom font renderer.  Dekel recently proposed to use FreeType and
IMHO this is the way to go.

> #10 and #12: These two points show exactly why LyX is not the right tool.
> Guides, rules, and layers are completely antithetical to the markup
> language approach that LyX (because of LaTeX) chooses to use. One marks
> something as a "section" in LyX - you don't tell LyX how or where to place
> that on the page.

IMVHO this is not antithetical to the structured documents.  At least
markup languages such as html and xml supports framed pages.  So this
reduces to the availablity of appropriate LaTeX macro packages.  On the
LyX side, the new text inset (with possibly its own scroll bar) can be
used to visualize some of them WYIWYM.
As for layers, PSTricks has \overlaybox, \psoverlay and \putoverlaybox
commands.  I don't see strong urge to support a WYSIWYM interface for
layers from anyone else, however.

> > 4) Text boxes and/or text frames that can be linked so that the text flows
> > from one box to another. The boxes need to be able to be set to accurate
> > measure.

As I already stated, the concern is the availability of LaTeX macro sets.
The standard behavior of the minipage environment, if it is to be used
for this purpose, is to chop away all the contents which cannot be put
into a single page, for example.

Regards,
        SMiyata