On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, rgheck wrote:

 - buy more memory ->
   we need to ask someone at Trolltech to build it into the machine

The discussion elsewhere seems to me to suggest that this is the best option. For what we're running, it'd be surprising if an Athlon 2000+ wasn't more than adequate. The problem seems to be swapping. In any event, it will likely be a lot cheaper to install a bit of memory than to get a new server.

Then again, we could also use a bigger /var partition, right?

I have a vague memory of a discussion related to this in Finland, and I think we at the time thought more memory (RAM + HDD) would be enough.

Let's hope that Lars' sees this, he's the one with knowledge about it IIRC.

So the questions would then be:
* Can we upgrade the memory?
* What kind of RAM does it take?
* What kind of HDD could we add to it?
* Is it practially possible for us to do this? Does anyone have physical
  access?

I guess we need someone with physical access in order to even figure out what kind of RAM and HDD we could upgrade it with?. At least I am not able to figure out this remotely.

/Christian