On Fri, 15 Sep 2000, Garst R. Reese wrote:

> Allan Rae wrote:
>
> > So in summary:
> > If you have cvs access but no new files use
> >         `cvs diff -p -N -u`
> >
> > if you have no cvs access (using snapshots or releases) _or_ have cvs
> > access but have added new files then get the modified diff and a script
> > called packcvs from the above site and run:
> >         packcvs <original.directory> <modified.directory>
> >
> > Allan. (ARRae)
> What was wrong with cvs diff -N -u > mypatch.diff
> and sending mypatch.diff to the list?

Nothing, as I said above in the first case.  The only problem comes with
the fact that new files are not included by the -N.  Only new files that
have been added to cvs using `cvs add` are actually caught by the -N flag.
To be able to run `cvs add` you have to be given at least read-only access
to cvs by Lars.  This just means extra work for Lars and extra hassle for
budding contributors just to be able to submit a patch that will be in an
acceptable form.  This is a silly requirement IMO as it is overly
restrictive.

Allan. (ARRae)