Greetings all -

I wanted to offer a suggestion about a portable LyX file format.  This was
recently brought up on the LyX-users mailing list and has been discussed
previously (heatedly?) as documented here -
http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/BundleSuggestions - and here -
http://wiki.lyx.org/Devel/BundleRoadmap.

Before reading those pages I devised what seemed to me to be a decent scheme
for organizing a portable lyx file format.  It is mostly in line with
Richard's ideas.  The basic differences are (1) a different extension is
used (.plyx) and (2) a special file is maintained in the bundle, called
manifest.xml, which contains information about where external copies of the
documents reside.  This has the distinct advantage that two collaborators,
on possibly different operating systems, could have LyX properly link the
internal file with their local copy of the external file.  This allows for a
lossless .lyx -> .plyx -> .lyx conversion.  Although .plyx -> .lyx -> .plyx
could be lossy, a script could be used to update the manifest of a new .plyx
file based on an old .plyx file to minimize the loss.

The goal for my specification is making document collaboration among two LyX
users as simple and painless as possible.  I have attached a file that
summarized my thoughts on the specification.  Comments and constructive
criticism are welcome.

David