Hey Bo, thanks again for your responses.

it does not seem to differ much from a previous bundling implementation...
> It was due to a lot of technical and usage difficulties that that
> implementation was reverted.

I found a thread from about a year ago
here<http://n2.nabble.com/Disallow-embedding-of-files-not-in-or-under-current-document-directory-td484444.html>which
may be what you're talking about.  Joost suggests using a GUID for the
files and creating a manifest, which is basically a more sophisticated
implementation of my idea.  So, unsurprisingly, I'm not the first person to
suggest it.  However, nobody ever raised any technical difficulties in that
thread over this issue.

I see that you already have a working implementation of your idea, so I have
no need to push my idea any further.  I wouldn't have the time to create an
implementation of my idea any time soon anyway, so I really can't advocate
for it.

I guess I'll look forward to LyX 2.0 and embedding!

David

P.S.  I still think it should have a .plyx file extension, but that's just
me.