Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Douglas Ray wrote:
XML was an aim for LyX 2.x, but the devel wiki only
mentions it briefly. I didn't find any follow-up.

I offer "Docbook 4.4 XML" as a more specific target, in
case there are no better suggestions.

As you probably know, LyX already has a DocBook backend, but it currently outputs DocBook 4.2 XML. I guess it will not be too difficult to adapt that to DocBook 4.4 (beware: I know next to nothing about DocBook).

Glad to find out it is 4.2, however Docbook had
SGML and XML definitions.

Do you refer to an undocumented feature?  Other ref's
only mention LyX produces SGML Docbook, not XML.

www.lyx.org/Features says SGML Docbook, no mention of XML, nor version.

 http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/DocBook
says you must use LyX 1.2, nothing later, and that
it makes only SGML Docbook

http://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/LyX   just says "Docbook".

 http://wiki.lyx.org/Examples/Docbook
refers to
 http://www.neomantic.com/tutorials/lyx-and-docbookXML
which says SGML, and you can use scripts and manual
editing and then xmllint to find other invalid XML.
That doesn't sound good for editing a large XML doc...

 http://wiki.lyx.org/LyX/ProsAndCons
says
 "actually any export to non-TeX-based format is quite
difficult -- try export to any XML-based format, ODT
or Docbook"

If developers want to add XML Docbook, you have an
immediate question of which version. "Current" is 5.0.
O'Reilly use 4.4;  but it would be worth checking if
they have a timeline for going to 5.x.

Regards,
Douglas Ray