On Fri, 13 Oct 2000, Allan Rae wrote:

> BTW, I've said it before but I'll say it again anyway since it's friday:
> You don't have to call your files by the same name as the xforms code.
> I would have expected KDE for example to use DialogXxxxx myself -- or
> whatever naming convention exists for apps using a particular toolkit.

well I went with what was there ... in fact this is a fairly sensible
naming convention I think for two reasons

1) even though there is no need for the frontends to be the same, needless
differences make it more difficult for people to update unilaterally when
I'm dead or something ...

2) a silly Friday reason - if we had DialogPrint... then the gui dervied
class would be called DialogPrintDialog ;)

3) I like to thing of "Form" meaning LyX's notion of the dialogs, and
Dialog, the GUIs notion

> John, I know it's a nice ideal to have qtarch files for building the
> dialogs but feel free to use the dialogs from klyx.  My plan two years ago
> was just to finish the xforms stuff and then bundle in all the klyx
> dialogs.

I am referring to klyx source for every dialog, but in actuality (other
than bits of the interface code that can be stolen) it is just as quick to
use qtarch for the actual GUI parts of it (now that I've got used to its
foibles ;)

For example I have dlg files for formparagraph, which took about 40
minutes max to put together. Some of the FormParagraph code can be
borrowed from klyx, but in fact most of the code will be fairly similar to
the xforms/ stuff anyway... I use klyx for inspiration mostly ;)

> With KDE-2.0 not far off the need for easy maintenance of the KDE-1.1.2
> stuff is somewhat lessened.

Well, maybe I'm living in a dreamworld but I would like if possible
somehow to maintain lyx frontends for both - there will be plenty of KDE 1
users for a long long while yet, especially in academic settings ...

in actuality this probably isn't viable, but I can hope ...

> Perhaps, Matthias and Karl did use a dialog
> editor but left those files out of their dist.  It's worth asking.

yep, I don't think they did though, they probably just
flow-of-conciousness wrote it ;)

john

--
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
        - Thomas Watson, IBM Chairman, 1943