On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Tommaso Cucinotta <tomm...@lyx.org> wrote:

> Il 03/05/2011 16:03, Richard Heck ha scritto:

> Probably unimportant, we just lost some disk space (+30.8% space needed for
> sources)
>
> $ git clone git://gitorious.org/lyx/lyx.git
> $ du -sh lyx
> 267M    lyx
>
> $ svn co svn://svn.lyx.org/lyx/lyx-devel/tags/lyx_2_0_0/
> $ du -sh lyx_2_0_0/
> 204M    lyx_2_0_0/

Besides that this extra space is really worth it, there is another
advantage.

Assume you have the 2.1 branch and the 2.0.x checked out both. In SVN this
will cost you 2 x 204 MB = 408 MB. In git this would become 267 MB + 70
MB for every new tree which represents a different branch. This is because
you can share the objects between repos.

> Also, my little experience with git: despite the few commands used everyday
> for pulling updates, pushing local commits for writing a paper or working on
> relatively small projects, in the end it always came the time in which I
> couldn't understand anymore what was the status of my repo and I needed the
> help of some git "expert", who normally entered weird commands on my system
> to "recover" the situation

I experienced this in the beginning as well. A few months later I don't
anymore.

I'm happy I learned something and I think it will help me developing more
stable code, cooperate more, streamline the development, make sure the
history is much nicer for future reference etc. etc.

> (including having to check-out again the whole tree).

You mean that your "expert" is apparently not really an "expert".

> To my surprise, this also happened merely following a git repo (i.e.,
> pulling continuously and rebuilding, without having ever committed anything
> locally, but probably with little local changes just to compile on my
> system).

You did something wrong. There will be people here to help you out. I'm sure
about that.

> This means *my* learning curve is not that easy, and quick crash courses
> don't help. I'll need to go through most of the main concepts from a manual,
> and there are far more concepts than you can find in SVN. Actually, my
> impression is that git has so many options and features that even who's been
> using and advocating it since years in the end has only a limited knowledge
> of the tool.

You don't need all the options. Who knows all the options of LyX ?

Vincent