Am 15.03.2012 12:11, schrieb Vincent van Ravesteijn:

Merge branch '2.0.x' of git.lyx.org:lyx into 2.0.x

This has probably be caused by committing locally directly onto the 2.0.x
branch and doing a git
pull afterwards.

I don't know how I managed this. My other commits went through without any
problems.
But anyway, why is such a merge a problem?

The easiest to do is _not_ to commit locally onto the master or 2.0.x branch.
First create a branch:

git checkout -b myfeature % create a branch 'myfeature'
git add <files>
git commit % commit onto the branch myfeature

When you want to push your changes to the lyx repo:

git pull % sync your repo first

git merge myfeature % assuming you're on 2.0.x or master branch

Uh, that is complicated. If I need to do this for every change, I would loose much time. I mean sometimes need to commit up to 10 things within an hour or so.

What is the benefit of branching for every feature? Why is it not as simple as in SVN where when I commit a thing that has been meanwhile changed, the change is automatically merged before my things are committed?

For me Git is much, much more complicated than SVN. Lars advertised Git as advantageous but for normal users it is not. It is totally unintuitive and consumes more time and space on my harddisk. It might be advantageous if you are an expert, but I don't have the resources to take a full day only learning Git.

regards Uwe