Il 18/03/2012 21:20, Uwe Stöhr ha scritto:
Am 16.03.2012 09:32, schrieb Abdelrazak Younes:

# You think your branch is good now and worth being merged to
'master'. Bug Vincent or Richard about it: they will do the merge into
master for you. After a while, if Vincent or Richard allows you and
you are more comfortable with git maybe you could merge directly to
'master' yourself.

Why am I no longer allowed to commit?
I don't understand the benefit of this complicated branching procedure. I already developed something in the master checkout. Vincent changes something in the meantime and after updating my master, his changes were automatically merged with mines - exactly as with SVN. So why do I need to work in a separate branch if I nevertheless have to merge with the master? I mean my master branch is already my developing branch. Every refreshing of it will merge my changes with it so can test if my things compile.

For some bigger new features a separate branch is of course useful and I also used this in the past in SVN. But for every small thing like e.g. a new section in a documentation file I feels this as "shooting with a canon onto sparrows" (as we say in German).

In Italy, this would be shooting with a cannon to a mosquito ("zanzara") :-), I share your feeling, for what it matters. The change from svn to git, plus the change in the development model, is probably a bit too much, for the "casual" LyX contributor. Let's go incrementally: first we all learn git and use it for a few months, with all its commands, with fetch, pull, merge, clone, push, commit, --reset, the index, branch, remote-tracking branch, rebase, squashing patches, etc...., working more or less as we used to do with the svn repo(s), later we introduce these development lifecycle changes..... it's also a chance to learn incrementally the new functionality of git itself.

    T.