On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 1:46 AM, Uwe Stöhr <uwesto...@web.de> wrote:
> What is the benefit of branching for every feature? Why is it not as simple
> as in SVN where when I commit a thing that has been meanwhile changed, the
> change is automatically merged before my things are committed?
>
> For me Git is much, much more complicated than SVN. Lars advertised Git as
> advantageous but for normal users it is not. It is totally unintuitive and
> consumes more time and space on my harddisk. It might be advantageous if you
> are an expert, but I don't have the resources to take a full day only
> learning Git.

Hi Uwe,

Lars advices are probably too complicated for you. Git is complicated
only if you want to. Please follow this simple workflow and all will
be well:

# create a new branch 'uwe'
git branch uwe
< ... develop ... >
git commit
< ... develop more ... >
git commit
< ... develop some more ... >
git commit

# you want other developers to see your work:
git push

# you want to check what's going on in master:
git pull
git log (or TortoiseGit log)

# You notice some new features in master that you want to test, so
merge 'master' onto your 'uwe' branch:
git merge master
git commit

# You think your branch is good now and worth being merged to
'master'. Bug Vincent or Richard about it: they will do the merge into
master for you. After a while, if Vincent or Richard allows you and
you are more comfortable with git maybe you could merge directly to
'master' yourself.

Abdel.