2012/10/17 Pavel Sanda:
> Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
>> However, nobody seems to care about "marginal note". So, I would readily
>> move it to the Insert->Note sub-menu. At least, it will be 1 less entry in
>> the "crowded" Insert menu.
>
> I think margin/foot note should be rather coupled together...

Agreed. Marginal notes and footnotes are conceptually different to the
LyX notes, despite the similar name. LyX notes are rather editiorial
tools (adressed at the author/editor; except for "greyed out maybe,
which is a problematic case in itself). Footnotes, endnotes and
marginal notes are part of the document proper. Since they are so
important in scientific writing, moving them to a second level would
be a bad sign for a mainly "scientific" writing application.

For my lectures, I use marginal notes quite a lot, and I would be
quite annoyed if they wouldn't be easily reachable anymore (via
Alt+E+R in my German l7n currently).

Jürgen