On 17/10/12 11:26, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
Marginal notes and footnotes are conceptually different to the
LyX notes, despite the similar name. LyX notes are rather editiorial
tools (adressed at the author/editor; except for "greyed out maybe,
which is a problematic case in itself). Footnotes, endnotes and
marginal notes are part of the document proper. Since they are so
important in scientific writing, moving them to a second level would
be a bad sign for a mainly "scientific" writing application.

For my lectures, I use marginal notes quite a lot, and I would be
quite annoyed if they wouldn't be easily reachable anymore (via
Alt+E+R in my German l7n currently).

I see your point. I'm just trying to think from a new user perspective:

-) I need to insert a footnote
-) so I go straight to Insert-> menu,
-) scroll it down, find the Note-> sub-menu,
-) cannot see any "footnote"
-) conclusion: "this tool doesn't even support footnotes :-)!"
-) sudo apt-get purge LyX :-(...

exacerbating the last step/conclusions of course, it's just that we all probably know very well how to customize the UI, etc.... (and surely we all agree that what LyX probably lacks is a "Tools->Customize menus..." tool for re-arranging menus). The experienced user knows where things are, he's used to that. A UI is effective when it allows new users to find stuff intuitively and quickly, isn't it ?

One last thing: how does one add an "end note" in LyX ?

Bye,

    T.