Nico Williams wrote:
> And that (document class affecting details of LyXHTML output) is as it
> should be for a presentation format, but it's a disaster for a
> document format.

Yep, your point is clear, that's why I asked about DocBook -- I'm not
using it but from the few bits I have seen it looked XMLish enough without
the presentation layer making your life hard within XHTML (feel free to
correct me, I know almost nothing about DocBook :)

> But I could work around that via
> XSLs to deal with version changes, but I think that's quite tolerable
> (and no different than LyX's existing .lyx version change scripts).

The question is who is going to maintain it when you disappear, not
just who tolerates it. If you happen to be the last fan of XSLT then
then we are in trouble. If the contribution is within the framework
we use, than it's much more easy because all people around know
where to look in the code, how to read C++ and what's the design
pattern behind.

> See above.  Actually, lyx2rfc works well enough, but I've had issues
> that led me to use the docbook article document class, which can't
> output labels, so I can't use bibliography environments, and I can't
> use the citation picker when adding citations.  I may switch back to a

I can just recommend to file a bug about it; we have been recently
contacted by some adventurous spirit who promised to work on transition
to DocBook 5 export format. Perhaps it can slip in when refactoring...

Pavel