Kornel Benko wrote:

> Am Samstag, 5. Januar 2013 um 14:01:15, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
> <skost...@lyx.org>
>>
>> Good to hear. Now everyone has one less excuse for writing tests.
>> Speaking of which, do you know why no one writes any tests?
>
> It's standard between developers I met in my life :(
>
> I for one try to convert all available tests to be useful with cmake,
> so not even I wrote a single test yet.
>
>> It seems
>> to me that only you, Georg and Tommaso like tests.

I don't like tests, and I believe nobody does. But I've made the experience
that some well designed automated tests find bugs that you would never find
by manual testing, some of them of the brown paper bag category. And usually
they save you time, since you can fix the bugs while you are still familiar
with the code in question. So the only reason why I try to maintain tests is
lazyness.

> This partly may be, because many of the developers use automake.
> In cmake it is so much easier to make tests having unified looking,
> but I don't dare to say it too loudly ...

Don't worry, IMO the autotools test support is far too limited.

>> Note that I sent this email just to you. I don't want to be critical
>> on the list (at least not until I know a little more what I'm talking
>> about).

I don't see any problem with criticism as long as it is constructive. Even
if it turns out to be based on limited knowledge, somebody will tell you,
and you learn something. Otherwise fellow developers can learn something
from you.

Georg