On Mon, Jan 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM, Georg Baum
<georg.b...@post.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Kornel Benko wrote:
>
>> Am Samstag, 5. Januar 2013 um 14:01:15, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
>> <skost...@lyx.org>
>>>
>>> Good to hear. Now everyone has one less excuse for writing tests.
>>> Speaking of which, do you know why no one writes any tests?
>>
>> It's standard between developers I met in my life :(
>>
>> I for one try to convert all available tests to be useful with cmake,
>> so not even I wrote a single test yet.
>>
>>> It seems
>>> to me that only you, Georg and Tommaso like tests.
>
> I don't like tests, and I believe nobody does. But I've made the experience
> that some well designed automated tests find bugs that you would never find
> by manual testing, some of them of the brown paper bag category. And usually
> they save you time, since you can fix the bugs while you are still familiar
> with the code in question. So the only reason why I try to maintain tests is
> lazyness.

I guess this is a sort of "long-term laziness", which is productive.

>> This partly may be, because many of the developers use automake.
>> In cmake it is so much easier to make tests having unified looking,
>> but I don't dare to say it too loudly ...
>
> Don't worry, IMO the autotools test support is far too limited.
>
>>> Note that I sent this email just to you. I don't want to be critical
>>> on the list (at least not until I know a little more what I'm talking
>>> about).
>
> I don't see any problem with criticism as long as it is constructive. Even
> if it turns out to be based on limited knowledge, somebody will tell you,
> and you learn something. Otherwise fellow developers can learn something
> from you.

Thanks for the encouragement. I think that the word "constructive"
implies a certain level of knowledge, which I just don't have yet.
Perhaps a good alternative to constructive criticism in this case is
to ask questions. This way I can be transparent about asking for help
rather than pretending I'm giving help. I'm going to start a new email
on this topic with some questions.

Thanks,

Scott