10/09/2013 13:40, Vincent van Ravesteijn:
I'm in no position to tell you what you'll have to do. I'll rebase the
branch when it is clear to me what Stephan exactly wanted to do with the
Encodings stuff, and I might add your previous explanations to the logs.
It's hardly any effort then.

However, if you feel like you have anything to share with the world, ....

Personally, although I agree that my commit logs should have been better, I do not think it is worth changing anything right now. Indeed a commit log at merge time would be nice.

Concerning the encoding part (which was the hard work), I do not really know how much simpler it could have been. I agree that the BufferEncoding class is not needed (the code could have gone to buffer_funcs.cpp, for example), but I do not know much about the CharInfo stuff.