I have been following the discussion going on in this thread and have been
exploring Lyx at the same time.I understood how to integrate python scripts
into the editor and all but i have a some queries regarding the round trip
conversion

Since we have something like eLyxer which parses the Lyx format,can we
modify the eLyxer program and use this python-docx library(
https://github.com/python-openxml/python-docx) or anyother library which
helps in creating .docx files?In this way maybe we can also inject metadata
which MS Word ignores.Since we already have the .docx--->.lyx converter
written by Rob(http://blog.oak-tree.us/index.php/2012/03/08/word2lyx01-2)
we can modify it to read the metadata also.I feel we should be able to do a
roundtrip conversion this way but i am not sure of the math part.I mean i
should read more how can we convert mathematical expressions from .lyx to
.docx. Can someone please brief me on what's the crucial information that
is absent in Lyx but produced by Latex?

I also had a look at pandoc and tex4ht but as they are converters from
Latex,i feel we should only consider them as secondary options.

I am new to the Lyx community so please forgive me if you find any of my
suggestions too lame because i may not have complete overview and insight
into things.Also it would be great if someone could provide me links to
understand the .lyx format.I wrote a simple .lyx file and opened it in a
text editor and found a lot of stuff,i think i should be able to understand
this properly if i want to parse a .lyx file and convert it to something
else

Thanks and Regards
Prannoy Pilligundla
ᐧ