Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> writes:

> On 02/27/2014 03:44 AM, Prannoy Pilligundla wrote:
>>
>> I also had a look at pandoc and tex4ht but as they are converters
>> from Latex,i feel we should only consider them as secondary options.
>
> I believe pandoc is pretty modular. One would only need to add LyX to
> the list of formats that it handles and then, like magic, we could
> convert the LyX format to anything else that pandoc handles. It seems
> to me that this would be a very good approach.

I really like pandoc, and it would be in my opinion, the perfect
companion for one way export from LyX - as you said, this would be like
magic.

But it does not provide conversion from the target formats, only from:

,----
| markdown, reStructuredText, textile, HTML, DocBook, LaTeX, MediaWiki
| markup, OPML, or Haddock markup
`----

see [1] for details.

Therefore I don't see it as useful for the round trip.

> The downside to any python-based approach, though, is that the LyX
> format is a moving target. The script would need to be updated with
> every syntax change.

I assume that in LyX, there is an API which could be used to convert
*independent* from
the file format?  I don't assume they are exposed outside LyX so that
they can be accessed from e.g. python?

Along this lines - I guess there are no news about the LyX xml format?

Rainer

> Richard

Footnotes:
[1]  http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/