Le 06/12/2014 10:52, Georg Baum a écrit :
Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

I like it, but I was hoping we could have a drop-in replacement (so that
for example clang would still use a real std:string). This would require
to get rid of the str(). Isn't it possible to desclare a an operator()
to translate transparently to std::string?

I believe it would be possible technically, but do we want that? This would
mean that people developing with clang or MSVC would break the build from
time to time, because they would have no possibility to notice if the use a
std::string member which does not exist in trivstring.

It would not be useful, since we have to return string const instead of string const & anyways. Therefore we cannot be completely transparent. But since we have the .str() thing, I guess that now the gain wrt your original deep_copy approach is not so important, or am I wrong?