Le 04/12/2014 21:59, Georg Baum a écrit :
Attached you can find the implementation of such a trivstring class, and as
an example the work which needs to be done to make the Language class
threadsafe without requiring locking for all const accesses (except the
Encoding pointer, the Encoding class would need a similar treatment).

I like it, but I was hoping we could have a drop-in replacement (so that for example clang would still use a real std:string). This would require to get rid of the str(). Isn't it possible to desclare a an operator() to translate transparently to std::string?

I would propose to put this in master (and extend it to other classes where
needed) and to use the deep_copy() helper in very few selected places in
branch. OK?

That would be a good plan indeed.