Having installed LyX on a 5k iMac I can report that, even without retina support, LyX screen fonts still look quite good, especially if you crank the resolution up a notch from the default "2560x1440" to the next fixed option of "2880x1620" (ironic quotes because the number of actual pixels per resolution point at "2560x1440" is 4 to 1, making for incredibly sharp text). Sitting a reasonable distance from the screen and using Minion Pro as the screen font (major props to Kieran Healy <http://kieranhealy.org/blog/archives/2012/11/10/installing-minion-pro/>) there is virtually no perception of the slight fuzziness and pixelation visible at very close range.

-chris
Christopher Menzel <mailto:chris.men...@gmail.com>
December 26, 2014 at 5:45 PM
LyX folk:

I have a couple of questions concerning LyX on the new 5k iMac.

1. Stephan Witt had noted some time ago that Retina support was in development for LyX. Does anyone have a reasonable sense of the ETA for such support in an OS X binary?

2. Despite some screen font blurriness up close, I find LyX to be quite usable on my rMBP. My thought is that the appearance should be pretty much the same on the iMac given that iMac's pixel density is almost identical to the rMBP — indeed, the latter's is slightly higher (226 vs 216 ppi). Does that reasoning seem correct? Has anyone confirmed/disconfirmed this empirically?

Any info or other comments appreciated.

-chris