On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:05:59PM +0200, Georg Baum wrote:

> The fix is simple: Re-add the deleted lines to set the encoding to utf8-
> plain (see attachment). Then Development.lyx compiles again for me. The
> encoding must always be utf8 for full unicode backends if non-TeX fonts are
> used. I guess that you were mislead by the comment, which suggested that
> setting the encoding was done for TeX fonts, but this was only a part of the
> truth: It was done for non-TeX fonts as well.
>
> > Before my partial patch, the "latex encoding" was set to "utf-8" for
> > export to XeTeX and LuaTeX, regardless of the used font encoding. This can
> > lead to both, now reported errors for missing characters and wrong output
> > for some non-ACII characters in the "latin extended" block.
>
> I think the part of the patch that changes the behaviour for XeTeX + TeX
> fonts was fine and I am pretty sure that it fixes many more problems for
> this combination than it creates.

Let me know if it would be useful to compare the results of the export
tests. Just let me know which two states to compare (e.g. master +
Georg's patch vs.  master). Or if you have confidence in the patch, feel
free to put it in and I can just test master against master before the
patch.

> >> The commit also fixed a lot of ctests.
> >
> > Even here, we cannot be sure that XeTeX export is correct now.

Agreed.

Scott