Uwe Stöhr wrote:

> Am 26.10.2015 um 06:31 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:
>
>>> I think it is safe enough to support 2 years old features and would
>>> therefore like to put it in.
>>
>> Do we have any policy on this? What have we done in the past?
>
> No strict one, but the feature should be at least in the current and
> previous TeXLive as far as I remember.
> This is be the case here.

If everybody agrees with this policy then we should document it. I would
also add that we can be less strict if the only change is an added style,
but the layout file would still work with older versions of the package if
the style is not used. Then users who do not have the latest versions can
simply stick to the styles supported by the old version, but if the syntax
of an existing stely or some preamble code changes then the new layout file
would always require the new package.

Georg