On 10/29/2015 12:48 AM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 08:52:32PM -0400, Richard Heck wrote:
2. Pavel's idea that for key dependencies such as Qt or TeX we should
look where stable/future versions on major linux distros are. e.g.
stable debian. Another possibility is to look at the current Ubuntu LTS.
If we implement this, we should be specific (e.g. say explicitly Debian
Stable and Ubuntu LTS).
I think we have long had an implicit policy like this: Don't break Debian.
But we could change the target: Don't break Ubuntu LTS and/or latest Centos.
Both of these are conservative without being glacial. I'm not sure how much
difference that would make in practice.
I still think there is some use to making the policy well-defined and
explicit.

Yes, and I did not mean to suggest otherwise. I just meant that, since we've long had an implicit such policy, there oughtn't to be any opposition to making it explicit. We just need to decide which distro we're targeting as a sort of mininum. Debian or Ubuntu LTS would be reasonable. (Is there also need to have some policy regarding OSX and Windows versions?)

Richard