On 2015-10-30, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 30, 2015 at 10:45:38PM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

> OK so it seems we're on the same page. The next question is what
> information exactly do you need from writeEncodingPreamble? Do you just
> need a bool 'use_inputenc' that is true if either
> \usepackage[...]{inputenc} or \usepackage[...]{luainputenc} is output by
> writeEncodingPreamble?

The important thing is to know, whether it is safe to use the
\inputencoding macro. This could be a boolean value that is true if:

* \usepackage[...]{inputenc} or \usepackage[...]{luainputenc} is output by
  writeEncodingPreamble

* a package/class that loads inputenc (or luainputenc) is loaded
  (this is tested in writeEncodingPreamble via
  features.isProvided("inputenc")).

> Do you want to do the C++ work or would you prefer for me to? I think it
> should be simple but I'm happy to do the work since I've finally wrapped
> my head around the issue.

I'd prefer you to do this.

Deciding, what to do in case inputenc is not availabel remains an open
issue: with XeTeX, we can just use UTF8, otherwise we have to decide
between conversion with lib/unicodesymbols (or something better suited
for "pdfstrings") or giving a warning or error.

Thanks,

Günter