Guenter Milde wrote:

> Both, \r{A} and \AA (rsp. \r{a} and \aa) are equivalent standard LICR
> macros
> for Aring/aring  as well as the deprecated "angstrom sign" character
> (212B).
>
> However, with \AA for 212B and \r{A} for 00C5, tex2lyx converts \AA to the
> deprecated "angstrom sign" which is missing in many fonts including the
> Unicode version of Latin Modern.
>
> See also
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%85#Symbol_for_.C3.A5ngstr.C3.B6m ---

What we have here is a non-uniqueness in the unicode standard (U+00c5 vs.
U+212b), and in LaTeX as well (\AA vs \r{A}).

This double non-uniqueness cannot be fixed properly by just exchanging LaTeX
macros in lib/unicodesymbols: With the proposed patch, tex2lyx would
translate \AA in the desired way, but it would not translate \r{A} in the
desired way anymore.

Since lib/unicodesymbols does not really support non-unique symbols, it is
better to add special code for \AA and \aa to tex2lyx IMHO. Then it does not
matter anymore whether U+00c5 maps to \AA or \r{A} (but I would keep the
current mapping, since it fits more nicely to the other symbols with rings).

Georg