Am 09.01.2016 um 01:32 schrieb Scott Kostyshak:
On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 10:58:13AM -0500, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Mon, Jan 04, 2016 at 08:56:38AM -0500, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
On Sun, Jan 03, 2016 at 08:05:17PM +0100, Georg Baum wrote:
Scott Kostyshak wrote:

I don't understand how installers work for 32-bit vs 64-bit. Normally
does our Windows installer contain both 32-bit and 64-bit binaries? Or
we just release 32-bit and 64-bit systems are fine with it? Same for
Mac?

So far we have never released any 64bit windows binary. This is fine, since
64bit windows can execute 32bit binaries, and nobody complained yet about
LyX hitting the 32bit memory limit (around 3.5 GB on windows). I would not
switch to 64bit at this time, since this can introduce subtle bugs
(unfortunately the 64 C++ memory model differs on linux and windows, e.g.
long is 64bit on linux but 32bit on windows, so the fact that we have
working 64bit linux builds does not guarantee us working windows 64bit
builds).

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I agree we should not switch now.

Scott

Another question for Uwe. Can you still reproduce these two tickets?
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9892
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9900
That is part of the reason why I am curious about Qt 5.6.0beta1. Maybe
it makes those issues go away.

Scott

I have gone through this thread and tried to make a summary of the questions
and discussion for Uwe. Please add more questions if you have any or edit my
misinterpretation of the question/comment.

The following letters refer to the person that asked the question.

G=Georg
R=Richard
S=Scott

S1. Would it be reasonable to build beta1 installers with both Qt 5.5.1
and 5.6.0beta1?

There will be no downloadable msvc2010 builds for 5.6. ATM only 5.5.1:

http://www.qt.io/download-open-source/#section-2

S2. Can you make the installers from *only* the tar ball (and not use the
git directory at all)? Note that if there is a technical reason why this is
difficult if you ask on the list I am guessing someone can help.

S3. Richard has been committing updates to po files. Can you confirm that all
translation updates we have received have been merged? Has anyone emailed
updates to you privately?

R4. Do we also want to try releasing an installer built with mingw?
(G response: IMO, we only need to release one installer. The mingw and MSVC
builds behave exactly the same (modulo bugs). So the question is rather whether
we do trust MSVC or mingw, and who does the build: If it is Uwe, it will be
MSVC, otherwise it will probably be mingw.

G5. Not a question but a prerequisite IMHO: The 2.2.0 release should also build
the prerequisite from the sources Peter added, using exactly the same
compiler as is used to build LyX.

If Uwe tries to build the installer with the mingw build from the build bot, and it makes no problems, then a mingw
based installer isn't far away.

S6. Can you still reproduce these two tickets?
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9892
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9900
If so, do you think they are beta blockers?
That is part of the reason why I am curious about Qt 5.6.0beta1 (see question
S1). Maybe it makes those issues go away somehow.

Scott