On 2016-02-24, Kornel Benko wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 24. Februar 2016 um 09:49:34, schrieb Guenter Milde
> <mi...@users.sf.net>
>> On 2016-02-23, Kornel Benko wrote:
>> > Am Dienstag, 23. Februar 2016 um 20:06:05, schrieb Guenter Milde
>> > <mi...@users.sf.net>

>> Maybe a different version as system font and TeX font?

> That may be. The system font is from package fonts-font-awesome,
> claiming to have version 4.0.0~dfsg-1 , while the tex font is from
> TL15-package fontawesome, version 38051 (4.4.0)
> OTOH using the same system from lualatex works, so I doubt that this is
> the reason.

see below

>> > I already have the newest fontawesome.sty in TL, so no need to add it to
>> > some project dir.

>> While pdftex uses a local, customized 8-bit encoded version of the font
>> and luatex uses the version installed by TL via its own font loading
>> mechanism, XeTeX loads fonts via the OS.

> OK, that looks like a good explanation.

>> Could you check with some font listing program or LibreOffice or
>> similar, whether the missing character is present in the font "as seen
>> by the system"?

> Lualatex finds it, is that not evident enough?

No:

>> luatex uses the version installed by TL via its own font loading
>> mechanism, XeTeX loads fonts via the OS.

Also, luatex works but xetex not.

Maybe you can find version numbers for the font file in the detailed logs.

> But you have a point, libreoffice doesn't show characters above U+F195
> in private area.

This may be a limitation of libreoffice, not the font. Maybe some other
font-viewer (I use "fontmatrix") will help...

>> Otherwise, if you cannot solve this problem, I suggest to add a pattern
>> for the test(s) that fail at your site to unreliableTests with a telling
>> comment.

>:(

Unfortunately, I cant help more.

I may give a hand to attempt a fix for the "seminar" issue. It is
something where I am personally interested. (It also works here and for
Scott but not at your site...)