On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 12:00:14PM +0200, Georg Baum wrote:
> Andrew Parsloe wrote:
>
> > I notice (in 2.2 beta2 on windows7) on typing LyX, TeX, LaTeX, LaTeX2e,
> > that these strings are *not* converted to the logos. Nor does saving,
> > closing and reopening the document convert them to the logos, nor do
> > they display as logos in the pdf.
> >
> > However, if I export to 2.1 format and then reload that document in 2.2
> > beta2, they *are* converted to the logos.
> >
> > Something has been overlooked here.
>
> Unfortunately this has not been overlooked, but a correct implementation of
> the 2.2->2.1 conversion in lyx2lyx would be very hard to achieve. Our policy
> for lyx2lyx is that all forward conversions have to work in all cases, but
> backward conversions are only guaranteed to produce a valid file format,
> they may change the document output. We try to implement the backward
> conversions correctly if possible, but in this case it is really difficult:

Thanks for the explanation (which I forgot is also in the
Development.lyx guide).

What do you think about producing a warning from lyx2lyx when we know
that there is a high chance that the 2.1.x document will not be
equivalent and explaining why?

I'm more interested in this concept more generally than in this
particular case. For example, the Development.lyx guide says basically:

1. Ideally we would produce equivalent documents.
2. If not (1) then we must produce valid .lyx files.

What about the following?

1. Ideally we would produce equivalent documents.
2. If not (1) then produce a valid .lyx files and produce a warning.
3. If a warning would complicate things too much, then the only
requirement is to produce valid .lyx files.

Scott