On Wednesday, May 25, 2016 1:39:56 PM WEST Scott Kostyshak wrote:
> I'm still curious someone has thoughts on the above idea. The main
> question I have is do we usually know when we are not producing
> equivalent documents (and thus it is easy to issue a warning)? I assumed
> so but I don't have experience with this.
>
> Scott

lyx2lyx can emit warnings but we do not process them in lyx. So for the moment
that will not work. If the code follows the usual conventions the warning
messages are easy to catch and process.

We should put things in perspective, for most of the features the convertion
is seamless. The backport is an added bonus that allows users to read
documents from the next version. Ideally this should a last resort scheme
because we do not test for back and forth convertions to guarantee a stable
cycle. IMHO the ROI return of investment for this is so small that it is not
worth, that is the amount of work required is so large for a so small benefit.

And just as in the case of the question of qt4 vs qt5 as long as the code to
convert back covers all the (relevant) cases we fulfill our promisses. :-)

Again I reiterate that this is my humble opinion. :-)

Regards,
--
José Abílio