Richard Heck wrote:

> We now have three staging branches. These are:
>
>     2.3-staging
>     2.2.1-staging
>     2.2.2-staging

That makes 5 active branches in total (please correct me if I misunderstood
something):

2.1.x          => will become 2.1.5
master         => will become 2.2.0
2.2.1-staging  => will become 2.2.1
2.2.2-staging  => will become 2.2.2
2.3-staging    => will become 2.3.0

Am I the only one who thinks that this is too much? IMHO this results in a
lot of additional book keeping work that eats from our valuable resources.
In addition, there are the trac keyword problems. Currently it is not
possible to map these branches to trac, if we wanted to do that we'd need
three additional keywords for the staging branches. If we do not add these
keywords then bugs might be closed for the wrong milestone and/or we need
manual work to find out from trac whether a particular bug will be fixed
e.g. for 2.2.1 or not.

Such a structure is good for large organizations. It does not make sense for
such a small group of part time developers like us IMHO. We do not have the
resources to think about four stable releases in parallel. IMHO we should
concentrate on one branch for 2.2.0 and one for 2.3 development, and refrain
from big refactoring projects in 2.3 until 2.2.1 is out. Nobody will try out
all these different 2.2 branches, so these fixes won't get additional
testing. In the contrary, I believe that they would get more testing if they
were all in one 2.3 branch.  Also, I doubt that we can now plan ahead for
2.2.2, these plans are likely to become obsolete. We have a simple tool to
schedule bug fixes: Milestones in trac. If we put all bug fixes in the 2.3
branch and set the bug milestones it is easy to get a list of all fixes that
need backporting.

Georg